Floor Pan


Page Three
(Pages: One, Two, Four)

[05-23-2005]
Started welding today. The new toe board patch and inner rocker is on. I used lap welds on the toe board. The metal was so thin it would have been too difficult (for me) to do a butt weld. I used plug welds across the top on the inner rocker and lap welds across the bottom.

[06-19-2005]
Removed the steering column, gauge cluster and front window (window was earlier this week). I also changed the transmission filter and gasket then put the painted transmission crossmember back in.

[06-26-2005]
Cleaned up the metal in the corners and removed the seatbelt mount from the drivers side rear frame rail in preparation for the new floor pan. I started putting the Rust Bullet (rust preventor) paint in the frame rails because I wouldn't be able to get to that area after the new floor was in. In doing so I pored a little too much in the container I was painting from so I started painting other areas to use it up. It covered a lot more area than I thought it would. It's also really strong/durable. I left the brush in mineral spirits (paint thinner) overnight thinking that the brush could be cleaned up in the morning. Well the brush was hard as a rock and stuck to the bottom of the container.

[06-28-2005]
Well the full floor pan wouldn't fit through the front window and then down without being cut. It was about 5 to 7 inches too long. No problem with the width. I cut the back off the new pan just past the torque boxes and inserted it through the front window then it dropped down with no problem. I welded up most of it. There's just a few more spots along the rockers where I would like to shore it up.

[07-04-2005]
I inserted the back section of the floor pan that I had to remove to get the floor in the car. I only have about 5 or 6 more inches to weld up of the seam.

[07-05-2005]
Finished welding up the seam. Boy that was a lot of welding...

next